Monday, February 26, 2007

You know, I think I'm going to rush through these next few chapters as quickly as possible. Relaying my thoughts, weeks after I wrote them down, isn't as stimulating (for me) as writing down what I read yesterday or today. Tonight, I'll type up a huge chunk of I Corinthians and maybe start a second blog where I'm at now.

I Corinthians

11:4-7 Paul isn't laying out strict rules on how to pray or prophesy. As I see it, he's talking about the ridiculousness of finding one's honor in the methods of how one prays.

12:8-11 List of spiritual gifts

14:1-18 Guidelines for the usage of tongues in church.

14:5 Prophecy is better than tongues.

14:14 This desription does not sound like the usage of a simple foreign language, but a spiritual state beyond our own.

14:20 This verse indicates that infants know no evil. While this isn't a doctrinal statement, it is a statement from an agreed viewpoint.

14:32 The spirit of a prophet is subject to the control of the prophet.

15:2 Christians can hold firmly to the gospel or believe in vain.

15:4-8 After his resurrection, Jesus appeared to:

  1. Peter
  2. The Twelve
  3. 5oo Brothers in Christ
  4. James
  5. Paul

No mention is made to his appearance to Mary Magdalene, nor do the Gospels record his appearance to James.

15:21 Death came by Adam (not by Adam and Eve, or Eve alone); Resurrection comes by Jesus.

15:42 A body is raised to Heaven and becomes imperishable. This is what is meant by eteral life.

15:45 Adam became a living being. Compare to Adam bringing death to the world. Death came with Adam's creation, not with his sin.

15:50 Perishable does not inherit the imperishable.

15:56 The sting of death is sin. For Christians, death has no sting. It is only in a sinful setting (this world) that death is bad. The power that sin has comes from the Law a.k.a. knowledge.

Continue in II Corinthians HERE.

No comments: