Tuesday, January 01, 2008

I do believe that I’ve found the perfect way to ring in the New Year, namely, by being declared a heretic. For someone having a blog titled Just This Side of Heresy, you cannot plan this kind of attraction. The story follows thusly: I posted a comment on YouTube that said, in essence, that the shared belief of Muslims and Christians, that we are sinful people, can be used as an opportunity for evangelism. This was read by one enthusiastic person as “All religions are the same. Let’s not make salvation by Christ a requirement for Heaven.” I tried to clarify myself with another response, affirming that I do believe we should preach Christ crucified, but I was too late—I was labeled a heretic and an enemy of Christ. The first part had no impact, because I’ve been called that on several occasions (now three), but the second statement genuinely hurt. I felt as though I was being chided by a high school student, who was insisting that they were Jesus’ best friend. Even though I know that they’re in no place to make such a judgment (nor am I), it still stung. Unity of the body is important to me, so I found the person’s blog, read a few entries, posted a positive and hopefully encouraging comment, with a preface that said I hope that there are no hard feelings between us. I cannot guess how it will be received, but I can hope for something positive.

This comes on the tail of a joke I made to a friend, only a few weeks ago. I said that if my non-fiction career ever takes off, it will be a great pleasure to be declared a heretic by the likes of John MacArthur or R.C. Sproul. Perhaps, I thought, it might even be worthy of the Top One-Hundred Things To Do Before I Die (dispensationalists, you may insert “…before the Rapture,” if you so choose). As I am currently reading Brian McLaren’s A Generous Orthodoxy, I am surely already on their prayer list. It’s a sad commentary on the Christian community that McLaren (may I call you Brian?) can preface the book with a half-comic warning to his readers that they risk guilt by association, and everyone knows what he’s talking about.

So it’s true, in my very first theological discussion of the year, I was declared a heretic and worse. Perhaps this is going to be easier than I thought. Rather than shooting for a condemnation by MacArthur, I ought to make a New Year’s resolution to insure that my excommunication is an earmark in the next Reformed Baptist constitution. What I find most distressing is that though I follow McLaren closely in orthodoxy, I am not primarily a post-modern Christian. Where I part ways with most evangelicals is my departure from T.U.L.I.P. Calvinism which, somehow, is still misconstrued as being morally relative. Someday, I hope someone will explain that accusation to me in light of the fact that Calvin preached something that was entirely new in his day.

Epilogue: I refuse to be the guy who gets self-righteous about other people’s self-righteousness. Hypocrisy-detectors have become the new Pharisees, replacing those that they accost. I was pleasantly surprised to find that neither McLaren nor Doug Pagitt, who co-wrote Church Re-imagined, do this. It’s a very likely pitfall for people who don’t follow the recently traditional version Christianity.


3 comments:

Pete Aldin said...

These kinds of unthinking comments wound me too. I was saying to another ex-professional-Pastor friend before Christmas that it's wierd how a non-Christian could walk up and call me every blankety-blank name under the sun and it would literally not affect me one iota emotionally.

But a Christian saying something like was said to you makes my blood boil. I wonder why that is. In any case, my friend and I are going to do some serious prayer and deprogamming to deal with this during 2008, first "session" in a fortnite.

But for you, know that (at the very least)your writing affects people. I'm not being facetious. It's a very very good thing. After all, the alternative is that it doesn't mess with them at all.

I have a theory that when salt touches a weed, the weed withers. There are weeds in our hearts and thinking processes (Paul mighta called them Strongholds) that begin to feel pain when truth challenges them. That's why we squirm and makes others squirm at times. Such frantic denunciation of you and your ideas is just a frantic attempt to brush off the salt because it's burning something they hold sacred. (In this case, probably that Muslims and Christians hold NOTHING in common).

Long comment. :)

Pete Aldin said...

Oh, and Happy New Year yourself. :) May you enjoy a rich deepening of your knowledge of God's Person and His Will for Jeremiah McNabb.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.