Monday, July 28, 2008

On August 1, I'll start work on my next project. I've boiled it down to two ideas and I like both very much. One of them has about 7,000 words in it already, the other is barely an outline. I burned through the last novel so hard that I don't know what to expect this time around. If I write it at the same pace I was writing the last five chapters of Joy & Carnage, I'll finish it in a month and a half (I have no intentions of doing so).

The first is called Tinker, and I imagine it could be described as The Italian Job meets about 1% of Chronicles of Narnia. Weird? The idea is that a thief stumbles into a restaurant where the saints in Heaven dine, and he meets a converted burglar who wants Stanley to find and return a lost treasure.

The second is tenatively titled Vigilante, and retells the story of the prodigal son as a vigilante that is loved by his city, but leaves it after being offered a television program about his life.

Come Friday, I'll probably flip a coin and start.

6 comments:

Leanne Stewart said...

If you're taking suggestions from future readers *grins* I say go with Vigilante. I want to read that one most.

:D

Jeremiah said...

Ha! I'll consider it. Joy & Carnage had some really neat twists and innovations. I'm trying to work through some with Vigilante. That's my main hesitation. Well, and I need to find a way to pair him off with someone, so I can have dialogue in the novel.

Even though Tinker is 7,000 words in, it's going to be a total rewrite, except for the first sentance, which reads:

"I've never had sex with a man. As far as God's law goes, that's about all I can say for myself."

Leanne Stewart said...

well, as big of a 'tease' as the intro to Tinker is, I still say go with Vigilante and forget the idea of twists and such. I need to know this guy and am very curious about him.

Besides, if you're looking for a dialogue partner for him, I might now of a "Lass" that would do.

:D

Seriously, though? Just tell me his story. That's all I need.

Jeremiah said...

In order to keep myself interested, I have to do more than just write the story. For example, Joy & Carnage is actually two stories that parallel each other, told in alternating chapters. At one point (Chapter 18) there is a chapter that could fit in either time line.

Lass, huh? Not a bad idea. That was my grandmother's nickname.

Leanne Stewart said...

Ahhhh, but then the question begs, are you writing for yourself or for your audience? If for your audience, then have you identified who they might be and what they might be interested in?

KIDDING!

Sorry, the "business" girl in me is sometimes hard to keep on a leash and confined to the office.

No worries. Write what YOU need to write and tell Vigilante-or whatever his name is-that Lass looks forward to dialoging with him in the near future ;)

Jeremiah said...

Trust me, the reader will enjoy it more if I'm also entertaining myself in the process. I've already come up with some neat ideas...one is this thing called a plot.